The Chapter consists of clerical and lay canons – variously elected by the Synod or appointed by the Bishop.
The Cathedral Chapter is established by the Cathedral Act of 1972 which confirmed the Church of the Holy Trinity Wangaratta as the Cathedral church of the Diocese.
THE FUNCTIONS OF THE CATHEDRAL CHAPTER ARE:
- To foster the development of the Cathedral as the Mother Church of the Diocese
- To consult with the Bishop on the filling of any vacancy in the incumbency of the Cathedral Parish
- To approve the appointment of Clerical and Lay Canons presented by the Bishop
- To approve any alterations or additions to the fabric and furniture of the Cathedral proposed by the Vestry of the said Cathedral Church
- To approve any proposals of the Vestry of the said Cathedral Church for the raising of money for the fabric and furniture of the said Cathedral Church, for the expenditure of income from the funds held in for cathedral maintenance
- To make recommendations to the Bishop, the Bishop-in-Council, the Dean or the Vestry of the said Cathedral Church on any matters concerning the well-being and control of the Cathedral and the management and superintendence of the fabric and furniture thereof.